The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) offers motivated students the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge and gain professional experience in strategic research and multidisciplinary analysis of international and national security issues and broader geopolitical, economic, societal and environmental trends. The HCSS internship program is designed to help interns develop their professional and personal skills, while working in an intellectually challenging environment with experts that are passionate about their work. The HCSS internship offers an excellent springboard for future careers in a wide range of fields.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with a strong interest in conducting research on issues relevant to our three research programs – Comprehensive Security, Sustainable Growth, Strategic Futures – and our project Strategy & Change. Candidates should have an excellent academic background in fields relevant for HCSS projects, including, but not limited to, International Relations, Economics, Security Studies, Political Science, Finance, Business Administration, Sustainability, International Law and IT.
- Excellent command of English
- Proficiency in Dutch or other languages is considered a plus
- Outstanding analytical, writing and synthesizing skills
- Knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods
- Knowledge of advanced internet search strategies
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task
- Positive and professional attitude
- Strong work ethic and willingness to learn
- Prior (international) work or internship experience is considered a plus
• EU and non-EU candidates must be enrolled in a Master program during the whole internship period.
• Candidates should be able to commit for 4 months for 40 hours a week.
• Candidates can provide a certificate of good conduct – ‘Verklaring omtrent gedrag’ - from the Ministry of Justice.
HCSS is currently looking for 2 interns for a 4-month internship starting September 2nd, 2013. The application deadline is June 21st, 2013. Interviews will be held during the first days of summer.
This application deadline takes into consideration that it takes approximately 6 weeks for non-EU candidates to arrange all permits necessary to conduct the internship in the Netherlands.
To apply, e-mail the following items to email@example.com:
- A cover letter, stating you are applying for the spring internship
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A 1-page writing sample (excluding bibliography) answering one of the following questions:
1. What does the rise of new powerful states mean for security policy of the West?
2. Is there a future for the Bretton Woods institutions?
3. What could the EU do to increase its innovativeness and the competitiveness of European industries?
4. Is a more ambitious international agreement on combating climate change likely to emerge?
- Proof of university enrollment
- Official (copy of) transcript of academic grades
- Dutch speakers are asked to write their cover letter in English and their writing sample in Dutch.
The HCSS internship program attracts a large number of outstanding candidates from around the world and is highly competitive. HCSS only considers candidates that submit a complete application and fulfill all eligibility requirements. Successful applicants will be invited for an interview.